Yeah to be clear these are not ridiculous min-specs. An awful lot of people are going to hit these MINIMUM specifications, just like, way fewer than any normal game. But again, these are min specs and Valve has not responded to press inquiries about what the recommend spec is. Fair play perhaps they’re still not sure what you need to have the ideal experience, in terms of hardware, but I can only think it’s going to be something slightly terrifying.
8GB has indeed been fine for a long time. Sure, it eventually will go up. But no mainstream game that exists today, that I’m aware of, actually needs 16GB, or even benefits from it all that much (in terms of framerates, loading times, playability, and so on). I’m probably overlooking something major so totally prepared to be corrected on that!
Again, it’s fine for this to be the game that raises the specs, but the idea that you’re not a “serious” gamer unless you have 16GB (because honestly who has 12?) is just, well, a bit much. I guess I’m a “filthy casual” once again, due to my failure to spend money I don’t have! Pfffft!
I suspect next year is an upgrade year whatever, but I also suspect my money will have to go to getting a PC capable of running CP2077 (please don’t be awful… I still believe that this has like a 75% chance of being totally amazing, and a 25% chance of being beautiful but absolutely dire, gameplay and story wise - oh and like a separate 30% chance of being delayed to avoid such a fate, which is fine I guess), because that’s going to be like CPU, mobo, memory, and likely a new GPU too. Come on Nvidia, bring out something way better than the 2000-series and make them cheap!
Also I note VR doesn’t seem to be succeeding at becoming cheap, still. We’re still in that phase, as is often the case with a new technology, whether it’s a new kind of TV or DVD players or whatever, where cheaper versions exist but are clearly somewhat lacking in potentially important features (often the little things can make a difference). We need to get to that phase where all the products have basically all the features (finger-tracking and really precise head-tracking - which allegedly has a strong impact on gamesickness, for example), at the cheap and high ends of the market, and the high end just has like, better quality displays and is lighter and a longer battery and no wires maybe. That still seems to be a year or five out.