We are happy to share with you our new dev blog, but also we would like to invite you to join our little contest (with pretty cool prizes) in which you can add a bit of your own creativity to the world of PUNK WARS! So let’s get started, shall we?
This dev blog is pretty long, so pour yourself a cup of your favorite drink and dive into the PUNK WARS universe!
Journal from the expedition
Day 1 of the expedition
You have gathered the most skillful scouts and soldiers. There’s an old town, several days of march to the East. This should be a good place to start your mission.
You reached the ruins of an old town. It’s inhabited by a group of peaceful locals. When you ask them about the time before, they point you to an elderly woman, who lives in an old mill:
- From what I recall from my grandfather’s stories, everybody was getting ready for a big celebration. On the same day, they were supposed to enter some sort of new, astrological age, and start, uh, what-you-call-it… The World’s Government? You know, like a single tribe for everybody, so they won’t have to fight anymore. Everyone came out to the streets to rejoice. Shortly after they saw the sky burning…
The World’s Government? That sounds ludicrous. You should find out more.
While searching for cover from a sandstorm, your group enters a former railway tunnel. There you encountered a group of vagrants sitting around a campfire. You spend several hours together, enjoying bottles of the finest wasteland hooch. When the conversation turns towards the ancient times, one vagrant, a man with a bushy, silver beard, takes the lead:
- What happened? The usual son, greed happened! Some big cheeses were afraid they’re gonna lose their power, so in a desperate attempt to save it, they were threatening the world with nukes.
I guess, in the end, one of them couldn’t handle the pressure anymore. He must have lost it and launched the attack. That’s what I’ve heard, anyway.
When the sandstorm ends, you order your crew to pack and return on your path.
In the mountains, you found a weird religious cult. They seem to live in harmony with nature, away from the troubles of modern civilizations. They turned out to be unusually friendly. After a grand dinner organized in your honor, you ask the head priest for her version of the events. She looks at you astonished:
- Oh, how can you not know this story? Every child has heard about it! The world was finally to be set free! Set free by the mighty Aquarius, The God of Love. But he was betrayed by the wicked corporations that bow to the evils of technology. They stabbed him in the back! But don’t you worry, he will return! More powerful than ever! He will smite his enemies and laugh at their demise! Those so-called ‘corporations’ will regret the day they crossed his path!
By the way, where are you from, again?
You carefully avoid answering and quickly change the topic. You enjoy the hospitality of your hosts for a few more days until you return on the trail.
While scavenging for supplies, you come across an abandoned business center. You hope to find some data in their archives, but when two of your men fall to their deaths while trying to reach the higher levels, you decide the building is too much damaged to risk it any further. Thankfully, the noise you make brings nearby a group of locals who used to live in the center back when it was in better condition. You asked them if anyone ever read anything from the offices at the higher levels. One man stands up and shares with you what he can remember:
- Yes, I remember reading the old papers… There once was a big war that many modern-day corporations profited from. When it finally ended, people were so tired of fighting that nobody wanted to see another conflict ever again.
There was a sociological change all around the world. People wanted to unify and live in peace. But that would dramatically cut the incomes of these corporations, and that was unacceptable to them… So they provoked a new war, and then it all went to hell… What a shame.
He’s visibly moved and goes quiet for a few moments. You ask if there’s a larger community anywhere nearby, the man replies that the only one he can think of lies many days far to the North.
After a long march and several encounters with bandits, you find a settlement, located in the ruins of a big city. Ladelphia says the old sign, although part of it is missing. Locals are highly vigilant and unfriendly, nobody wants to talk to you. You notice a poor, starving kid and share some food with him. He points toward the local square, where lives a guy named Rocky, who apparently likes to ‘live in the past’. You find him after a short while. He has a camouflaged face and wears old military clothes.
- Oh, I was there. Ten thousand years ago… Standing in the middle of a street. Waiting for my parade. Bastards, they lied to us! We returned home after the bloody war. We were supposed to be greeted like heroes… But there was no parade! It wasn’t over! Nothing was over! There were only fires coming from the skies, and the next thing I see is my best friend Johnny splattered all over me!
You express doubts about his alleged age, he replies:
- What do you mean I don’t look ten thousand years old? It’s the radiation, man! Or… uh… I don’t remember… Now, where have I put my bottle?
While traveling aimlessly, you catch a distress signal coming from an old mine. A small family is being attacked by a group of mutants. You order your people to hurry and you reach them just in time. After a bloody battle with the beasts, you explain who we are. A young woman tells you about someone named Rick who lives in a radio tower several days from here. He may know something about the events that lead to war.
You follow the trail and locate the tower. In there you find Rick, an older man, no longer capable of getting down the tower by his own strengths. He refuses to talk with you at first but changes his mood once he learns about the family your group saved. When you ask him about the war, he looks at you puzzled and shortly after begins explaining:
- Now, just between you and me, everybody thinks somebody fired nukes, and then there was a war or whatever… But let me tell you something. My great-great-grandfather worked in some sort of astronomical lab back in the day. Now, it was much higher than this puny little tower. He could literally look into the skies!
One day they noticed a big change coming. But I’m not talking about any of that esoteric stuff, no sir! I’m talking about the actual position of the planet. You see, when that happened, suddenly a cluster of meteors showed up heading towards the Earth. They tried to warn everybody, but it was too late. Then all the defense systems went crazy! They thought they’re under attack so they tried to retaliate, and… Well, you know the rest.
As you’re going down the tower, you think to yourself that it’s probably all you can learn for now. You are all deadly tired, and you want to go back home. You will have plenty of time to put all the bits and pieces you’ve gathered together on the way back. No doubt everybody will be curious to know the real story, so there’s just one question remaining,
What do you think has REALLY happened?
Punk Wars Contest
Last but not least, we would like to invite you to take part in our fun and creative little contest in which you can win special prizes from our publisher - including board games, t-shirts, game keys and more.
All you need to do is come up with the idea for an in-game event of your own. Events pop up during your gameplay (screenshot below) and you have a few options (answers) to choose from - each answer can give you a different result. You can check out how the events work in our playable PUNK WARS demo.
Just write down your idea in the comments section, of course the event needs to be coherent with the post-apo atmosphere of game. If this helps, you might also like to check out our previous blogs, where we share a bit more on the world of PUNK WARS. We will choose the best ideas and the winning ones might be implemented in the final game (with your name in the credits), so why not trying your luck, especially with the cool prizes we have prepared for you?
And that’s all folks for today! Don’t forget to add the game to your wishlist (if you still didn’t) and stay tuned for more PUNK WARS updates!