I think it comes down to base personality type, maybe influenced by upbringing.
After a few part time summer jobs in cafes and roadside restaurants (argh!) I would always try to be considerate of the staff when I was a customer in retail situations.
But I know others who either never had those experiences from the other side, or just didn’t pick anything up from it.
(Side note: Living in japan for 10 years has sent this a bit squiffy though, as the attitude is so totally different here. Customer service staff are essentially considered as robots to be mostly ignored and yet to provide perfect service. I’ve regularly seen customers treat them like crap, shout at them for no reason, etc… and the staff are expected to just take it. Even nice customers won’t do anything like say hello to staff and will basically just ignore them. That said, a lot of the cutomer service staff here seem fine with it, and will likely behave in the exact same way when they are the customer.
Maybe it comes down to attitude and expectation. )
Personally, I’m not convinced on this, although it may be true for specific areas like DK. Cases in a lot of countries are skyrocketing now.
That said, death rates seem a lot lower than the first wave, so whatever is going on there might mean it’s going to end up as something more similar to the flu.
No-one seems quite sure what the long term situation will be, or what the eventual situation with vaccines will be. It seems unlikely that it’ll be ‘one shot and you’re protected’, but on the other hand maybe it’ll get things down to manageable levels and we’ll be able to return to some form of normality.
On masks, although I have no detailed evidence to back it up (no one does, really) I’m leaning towards thinking they have a big effect - if enough people are wearing them.
Anecdotally, Japan should be being hit very hard by Covid. They have lots of elderly people and everyone is crammed in together in huge numbers. Yet their cases are miniscule compared to the UK and other similar nations. Population size is about double the UK, but the UK had more cases over about 5 days last week than Japan has had in total.
Personally, I thought masks were pretty useless at first, but I’ve 180d on that.
(It may also be a mix of factors, also including: low obesity rates, not shaking hands, being unsociable bastards who don’t talk to anyone ( ), taking off shoes in the house, different strain, existing resistance due to sars/mers, etc…)
The lockdown here was weak. The schools all reopened at the start of June. Social distancing has basically gone out the window and everywhere is pretty packed.
But everyone is wearing masks all the time. Go on the crowded train, or walk down the crowded street and 99.9% of people are wearing masks. The one guy who isn’t wearing a mask will be eyed with suspicion and given a wide berth.
It was interesting to me that when we happened to see the UK government’s Safety Advert (Hands. Face. Space: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr09ByDYuq4 ) my wife and my first reaction was “OMG! Why is no-one wearing a mask??!” If that delivery driver turned up at a house here and wasn’t wearing a mask, no-one would open the door!
My family and I have been wearing masks everywhere except in the home for 8 months now.
(The best research I saw recently said that wearing a mask cut the chance of getting Covid by 40%. If both people were wearing masks it was over 50%. But the effect would be basically exponential, right? Using back of the envelope maths, if we assume a 90% transmission rate and meeting 10 people per day, after 5 days we’re at 59,049 infected out of 100,000 and a 59% chance everyone has it. If we assume 40% then after 5 days we’re at 1024 infected out of 100,000 and a 1% chance
Interestingly, I was told that the same researchers said that wearing something like a fleece neckwarmer or gaiter actually increased the transmission over wearing nothing, but I didn’t see that bit first hand so I can’t say if it’s accurate or junk. ).