Not really my thing.
I think, somewhat like Anime, my brain has built up some subconscious negative associations with it over the years.
When I hear the word ‘cosplay’ my mind immediately jumps to images of half-naked girls or lolita style stuff. Which is probably partly due to most games websites cosplay galleries being 90% images of half-naked girls etc…
It’s also because when I went to the Tokyo Games Show a few years back, 75% of the cosplayers were half-naked girls, who had crowds of oyaji cameramen around them. The other 25% were guys who didn’t seem to be getting photographed very much.
It probably doesn’t help that most female video games characters have been barely clothed for many years, though that’s no longer a universal thing.
That said, if it was called ‘fancy dress’ my negative associations would evaporate, so maybe it’s just the name.
Some of the costumes are pretty impressive in the amount of work that went into them and the results, so I guess I kinda wish I had the motivation to put so much work into something just for the fun of it.
The best I can manage is putting moderate amounts of work into my kids’ Halloween costumes.