I can’t say I’m surprised that they’re deciding to shut the forums down, but equally, Discord is in no way a replacement for forums. I wish it was, because it’s very popular with “the kids”, but fundamentally Discord manages to combine most of the flaws of social-media-style communication sites together with the much bigger flaws of:
Being exclusionary by default. So you’re not allowed to join a Discord unless you have the right link or are invited. That’s pretty shit on a ton of levels and means we’ll lose an enormous amount of information when Discord goes tits-up in a few years or a decade, which it definitely will, one way or another - mostly likely it’ll get bought and then basically dropped by some other tech company. It’s angling for that situation right now.
Not being possible to index/search externally. This means incredible information can be on a Discord, but no-one outside that Discord might ever know. Indeed, I’ve seen this specifically happen with MMORPGs and TTRPGs, info which was pretty important ended up buried on a Discord, and was essentially impossible to find without both being on the Discord AND being told exactly what to search for.
Which brings me to another horrible issue with Discords - they godawful search function. It’s really terrible, and guaranteed to bring up junk, whilst failing to bring up what you’re actually searching for, even if it’s there, because it’s just THAT bad.
Definitely. Reddit is kind of the last blast of the open internet, rather than the increasingly shitty and exclusionary multi-tier internet we seem to be moving to. 99% of the time if I am looking for useful info about almost any game now it’ll be either that game’s forums, something like RPS, or Reddit that provides it.
But yep, the upvote/downvote stuff, whilst it’s helpful maybe 80% of the time, the other 20% of the time it’s really not great. Someone with factual but uncomfortable information can get downvoted into oblivion in no time, and a popular but wrong opinion can easily rise to the top. Usually that’s not what happens, but still it often does.
I really hope that if the’s no way to move the content of the forums, we can at least archive it - I’d basically pay for archives of the books/TV/movies threads, because they have some great stuff in them, and screenshots and what are you playing are also extremely good stuff - what are you playing is almost more useful than RPS’ main site some of the time.