So, for a while now I’ve been using the hosts file to block unwanted ads and webpages. I noticed today that it wasnt working, and I was trying to troubleshoot it. I restarted my computer at one point and now I cant access the internet at all. When I try to connect to my network, I am immediately treated to a “Windows was unable to connect to…” error, and the same thing happens with my neighbor’s. I’m at a complete loss here. I didnt touch a sibgle other system file besides hosts, and I’ve tried to restore it to its original state to no avail. Ipconfig/all shows everythi g as “media disconnected” (including several "tunnel adapters " that i know nothing about) but device manager seems to be working and i cqnt exactly update my Netgear’s driver anyways. My computer is nowhere near my roiter to hardline it right now. I dont have a Windows recovery disk for 7.
Anyways, posting from my phone sucks and dealing with internet problems like this is a massive pain, so hopefully someone here has the faintest clue what’s wrong.